So Glad It’s Friday…

This has been such a long week for me and I am thrilled that it is nearly over. I’m having home computer drama at the moment (it refuses to boot…stupid windows) so my lack of posting recently is due to that. Hopefully it will get fixed soon; I have a friend who is going to help me out but we haven’t gotten to it yet. Luke’s 6th birthday party is this Sunday so I’ve been pretty busy with preparations. I’ve got 33 RSVP’s…last year we invited 35 kids and 23 attended. I figured it would be roughly the same this year so I think we sent out 37 invitations. I’m floored at the response. I know that Luke’s teacher said he is really sociable with the other kids and actually it was hard to keep the list to that (I’ve been told I’m insane already…). We’re having his party at a local place that has a giant warehouse room full of bouncies (obstacle course, giant slide, etc) and a party room so I don’t have to do any set up or clean up. I have ordered his (giant) cake and will go shopping tonight and tomorrow morning for goody bag items and food and drinks. He is so excited but I will just be glad when it is over!

 This has been a rough week for a number of reasons. In the end I think everything is okay, or as okay as it can be, or will be okay eventually (because really, what other option is there?). There is some uncertainty about work-related changes and the annual discussion has come up about building location. I have a one mile commute at the moment and a nine year old car that has to last awhile longer so I am always attentive when this is discussed! The big thing though is that my dad went to the ER last night because he doctor said earlier in the day that he had a collapsed lung. It turned out that it wasn’t collapsed but one of his lungs is ¾ full of fluid. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it here but he has COPD as a result of the 35+ years of smoking. His doctor told him in November the he WILL die if he doesn’t quit. He has cut back from 20/day to 4-6/day but the last I heard (at Christmas) he still hadn’t quit entirely. I know that my youngest brother (thank goodness) threw out his cigarettes last night after driving him to the hospital and waiting around for hours. I know he can still end up buying more but at least the temptation won’t be right in front of him. He is meeting with a lung specialist today to figure out whether they’re going to drain the lung today or next week. He’s supposed to come down tomorrow for Luke’s birthday party but the most important thing is that he gets better. I would of course rather he miss this one party but be alive for others in the future! He has also stopped drinking completely. Over Christmas it was clear that his body is in shock. I am cautiously optimistic that he will make this a permanent change but I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much.

 Last week I started Mirabilia’s “Easter Fairy”. I ordered the delicas for this and the other seasonal fairies. I am not crazy about the conversion I did for the Halloween Fairy but the others are dead on (they arrived last night, no affiliation but wow Fire Mountain Gems is fast!!). I’m hoping to stitch all four of them this year. I agreed to stitch on unfinished projects (UFO’s) with Sarah on Fridays so I need to pull one out tonight (if I even get to stitch tonight…). I really want to start a few more things right now though. I have Brightneedle’s “Dollhouse” ready to start and I’d like to start a Shepherd’s Bush design (maybe St. Peter’s Faire?) and of course the Mar Bek “Nativity” which I’ve had kitted for years now. As always it is a matter of “too many designs and not enough time” as I’m sure any other stitcher will understand!

 I hiked up Iron Mountain last Saturday; it’s a 6 mile hike. I was surprised by how many people were out on the trail; there haven’t been that many out there when I’ve hiked there before. I’ve walked a few times this week but I’m still trying to work out a schedule since I can’t go to the gym anymore after Luke’s in bed since I can’t leave him home alone. I’ve been going after work before picking him up and that is working out okay I guess.

 Well that’s what’s new with me I guess. Since I’ve started three new things recently I’ll try to take pictures soon of my progress and I’ll pull out my older wips and try to make progress on those too. Look for some picture-intensive posts in the future!


2 Responses to “So Glad It’s Friday…”

  1. Susan Says:

    You’re a brave woman to plan a children’s party for 35! We usually have around 10 children to Ethan’s parties (smaller classes, I guess!)

    Keeping your dad in my thoughts! Hope he is doing better!!

  2. FaithAnnNB Says:

    Oh my gosh… I can’t imagine hosting a birthday party that big!! I hope he had a great time and it wasn’t too hard on you!

    Sending get well wishes for your dad. It’s so hard to see someone do something that we know (and they know) is bad for them, but they can’t seem to stop.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: